The Marist Brothers were invited to Kilmore to start a primary school for local boys in 1893. This they did, but as the new century approached the Catholic educational needs of rural families from northern Victoria and southern New South Wales had to be considered. In 1901 the first boarder was enrolled at the College, as a response to the needs of those families. In 1907 the school was registered and officially known as Assumption College, Kilmore.
The College continued to grow as a boys boarding school with a smaller day school component until 1971, when the first two girls were enrolled. These brave young women paved the way for the introduction of full co-education in the day school in 1985-86 and full co-education in the boarding house in 1995-96. Since then the proportion of girls in the school has grown to be close to 50 per cent of the student body.
In the past 30 years, Kilmore and its nearby towns have grown and become commuter centres for people working in Melbourne. This change has resulted in enormous growth in the number of our day students. Since 1985, when for the first time day students outnumbered boarders, the growth in day students has continued at pace. Whilst the Marist Brothers are committed to boarding places, and new boarding houses have beeen built, the day population of the school will also continue to grow.
Assumption was long known as the "football factory" and, in Catholic circles, the "priest factory". Perhaps in the 21st century these two titles are no longer appropriate. However, the College has always and will continue to promote an atmosphere where our students are allowed to pursue their studies with purpose and confidence, where they can reach their full potential in all aspects of human development, and grow in the faith and knowledge of Jesus Christ and the Gospel values of love of self and of one another.